Sunday, February 21, 2016

Right Answer, Wrong Question

The last 4 figures for the first of the new red units have now been added. The next 9  green coats are on the work bench but rather than paint them, I turned my mind to a game and thus to  a scenario and thus in turn to the campaign background. Ahhh, hmmmm.,.......
Newly landed in the Kapelle District,  Faraway volunteers drill while pioneers work on a new frontier outpost. Atlantican scouts look on from a nearby hill.

The focus for this campaign has been wandering in uneven fashion over more than a decade. Those who are really bored or curious can trace its path through past posts and I have been working on a post to set the scene for the upcoming 5 years of campaigns so let me get to the point. I mentioned a post or 2 ago that I was fairly happy with where the rules were going for the traditional division sized wargame but that I wasn't sure how well they would work for some of the "Colonial" style games. I was a little concerned over duplication with my 1/72nd ACW armies but brushed it aside. What I forgot to cross reference was what my plans were for the 40mm Atlantica figures that I was painting. In short there were to be 3 overlapping and interrelated wars. A minor border war south of the Mountains, and 2 Colonial campaigns, the first Oerberg war, a largely which saw the establishment of a recognized independent state and the great Kapelle Rebellion that I've been working towards for a decade now. 

None of these campaigns call for much in the way of big pitched battles between conventional forces, at least not soon though the Rebellion has the potential to go there eventually if Qyuqoit gets involved. That's why the plan was supposed to be to relegate those sorts of games to the ACW!  The work on the Model Major General wasn't wasted but those rules will be used for the ACW. That's why I was trying to work on the Tin Army which was used for the the first of the Kapelle battles last June. So, back to something more like a smaller, simpler, gridded version of MacDuff if you like. Company sized units (6 figures) normally fighting as skirmishers and supports but occasionally forming with 2 companies in close order in a grid area  (dense mobs for native spearmen when they arrive),  This lower level should also allow me to resurrect my larger buildings which have been staring mournfully (if not accusingly) at me from a shelf.
 
The next game will involve an outpost under siege with a relief train on its way. This afternoon the prefab fort (originally Marx jungle stockade) has been undergoing adaptation and improvement to fit better on the grid and provide accommodation for a small garrison. It fits quite well on 3x3 squares at the moment with separate cabins but no walkway but thats waaaaaay to big to be held by a company or 2. I'm hoping to have the table ready by Monday night.    


  

No comments:

Post a Comment