Friday, December 11, 2015

A Bit More about Oerberg

I've not had quite as much hobby time as I hoped this week and there have been too many things needing doing. Work on repainting the grid is about 1/2 done (the delay being a mix of wrapping and trying to decide how best to represent the terrain in Oberhilse and  the Cyprus Hills) but I haven't started on the hills yet.  The early 20th C Colonial rules module of The Tin Army is well started but mostly as notes. After a year of dithering over period, side and uniform, the Scruby Reb Infantry are finally painted but the first unit of  cavalry is still being assembled.

Oom Bob addresses The Clerk's Battalion, a volunteer unit of infantry , before they entrain and move to the Front.
I also got some more of the back story done.

There are three main classes in Oerberg. The Holders (short for Stakeholders) are the landowners. Only the Holders may own property, vote or sit in council. Any purchase of land must be approved by council. All holders are subject to military duty and when called must report with rifle, horse and two weeks rations. It is customary for the richer Holders to bring their own "volunteer" company of mounted rifles raised from their stockmen and farmhands.

The Natives are the original  inhabitants and those who have intermarried with them. Each tribe has a treaty with the State, runs its own affairs, and owns its own land. They are technically allies rather than subjects of Oerberg.

Everyone else is a Renter. They may not vote or own property although they may operate businesses and indeed they run almost all businesses, stores, banks, government offices and small farms (leased) and may not bear arms unless a member of an authorized Volunteer Corps. Being a volunteer is not only essential if hoping to become a Holder but also earns a break on taxes.

_______________  
Unfortunately, neither troops nor terrain are ready but I am itching for a game. A short non-gridded game of something or other is called for I think then back to work on Oerberg.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Ross,

    Interesting back story. Why not use the figures you do have ready for a small skirmish game. It could be one of those many skirmishes along the border or a small sea-borne incursion.
    Do you make a permanent record of the back story ala Featherstone in his campaign book? Whatever it sounds like an interesting winter of gaming.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry, the short answer to the 1st suggestion is that I don't have enough troops, terrain or rules ready and I want to savour this project for a few years not rush through with fudged everything. The years of exploration seeking a new paradigm have been full of rushed games and stand ins. Time to settle in and enjoy.

      As for a record, my blog is my record, by selecting labels I can quickly peruse all the relevent past posts. In addition I do intend to spend time expanding the various static pages into overviews of the background and games fought..

      Delete
  2. Ross Mac,

    As I know from my own experience, time spent preparing and getting things the way you want them is never wasted ... and inevitably leads to increased levels of enjoyment.

    This is looking good ... and I love the developing backstory of Oerberg.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather enjoying having the backstory reveal itself to me in bits and pieces as I go rather than trying to force it in advance and having to live with it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ross, I'm not entirely sure what's going on here but I love your blog and look forward to seeing how this unravels !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm never really sure either but I'm enjoying it which is what counts.

      Delete
  4. Great background, Ross. I notice that the Clerk's Battalion are taking their own beef rations to the front with them on that train!
    So Oerberg is modelled roughly on South Africa ca. 1900, said Captain Obvious, nodding wisely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets say "some aspects are inspired by" but there is as much influence from Zoro's California, Mexico etc, various Western movies and some aspects of the NorthWest and possibly some scifi elements. Hopefully, in the end, it will be roughly modelled on itself and not resemble any of the inspirations too closely.

      Delete
  5. Fascinating excursion into nation-building! I look forward to hearing more about it in due course.

    ReplyDelete