Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ah There You Are

Merten 4cm Zouaves straight from the mail.

It is with a mixture of excitement and nervousness that I cut the traces to MS after 30 years and give Google's web based Chromebook a try, (hardware by Acer in my case).  Amazing how much extra time I had during a week with no laptop!

Anyway, above we see the first recruits for the new Zouave Regiment undergoing training. Since I am contemplating Grey volunteer uniforms for Oberhilse I was tempted to copy the uniforms of the Montreal battalion of Papal Zouaves but apart from said Zouaves seemingly having adopted the kepi, I decided Oberhilse could use a little more colour and who better to provide it than volunteer Zouaves?

I was also tempted to give them to Faraway and copy the inverted Zouave uniforms of the West Indian Regiment. But they just looked like ACW Zouaves  and so be it. The faces and detail urged me to do an older, more careful, shaded painting style but glossy toy it is, perhaps a slight Elastolin-ish burnt sienna wash on the flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment