Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Difficult Client

Its hard enough to design something  to please someone when you and they both know what they want. When they aren't sure what they want to start and then keep changing their mind it makes for a great deal of frustration all around, even when the person you are designing for is you!

Anyway, I've been experimenting with all the ease of design to be had from treating a unit as a unit regardless of numbers of figures or the basing scheme. It certainly makes design easier but especially for a toy soldier game lacks something in the "feel" department. So, I'm suddenly back peddling at full speed before tomorrow's test game.

 .   The stick is my replacement for a grid. It is marked in 3" lengths.
Musket range is 2 lengths, melee/close range combat is 1 length..

2 comments:

  1. I'm conscious with rules that there is sometimes a tension between what I judge to be efficient and/or coherent and what I find to be enjoyable. The former process perhaps has higher status because it purports to derive from clear-headed rationality whereas the latter is suspected of being stored in a lengthy baggage-train of habit and tradition.

    However, I don't think the baggage can be ditched - it has to feel right - but it is tricky getting the balance right.

    Looking forward to hearing how it goes, fascinating as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I consider the clear headed rationality and many of my rejected drafts the expression "too clever by half" rises to mind!

    ReplyDelete